Sunday 4 March 2012

How Much Information?

How did we live without the internet years ago? Now rapidly approaching my fourth decade I can still remember life without it but I never remember feeling short of information! Maybe everybody talked more or perhaps our interests were not so far reaching!

I occasionally put "cotswold green" into google just to see what has been put online. The internet seems to have a version of everything that is talked about in the world today and this can give me an idea of the general public's perception of how we are doing.

Today just made me think just how much information is out there! My search, narrowed to the past week only, gave me the following sites in less than a second: -

  • Youtube - A 9 minute film following one of our vehicles on route 28 (the section between Amberley and Minchinhampton)
  • Flickr - Photos of several Cotswold Green vehicles (past and present)
  • This is Gloucestershire - A news article about a missing bus shelter on route 36
  • Wikipedia - Although an article about a different bus company there was a link to our own page.

A broader search would have revealed hundreds of items, once I had filtered out references to paint colours and property pages refering to a road named Cotswold Green!

Because there is so much information relating to just one small bus company in Gloucestershire it makes me think about the sheer volume of information available at my fingertips. Perhaps this is the main difference since the internet has come of age, I can literally find information about anything that pops into my head without leaving the comfort of my sofa! But what did we lose?