Wednesday 11 January 2012

And So What Is Wrong With This One?

After selecting and collecting N912 ETM from Purfleet, I am then forced to subject my new purchase to the scrutiny of our maintenance contractors.

I knew that there was a little corrosion on one of the wheel arches and that a new battery would be required (thanks to Ian's accidental diagnosis).

The maintenance contractors began with their customary 'Oh dear, I hope you didn't pay much for that' followed by sharp intakes of breath inbetween much pointing, prodding and muttering.

I have to say that I am used to this approach with any new arrival but the criticism was a bit harsher than usual this time! The upshot is that we have come to the conclusion that the Luton area must spend a considerable part of the year below sea level (explaining the corrosion which was a bit more extensive than I had anticipated) and that the wiring was done by an enthusiastic amateur (meaning that it had to be pretty much rewired from front to back before it could be allowed to leave the workshop).

And so now the prep work for painting has begun so hopefully it will be earning some money for us next week!!